L © The Bonau Cabbage Patch Cilymaenllwyd Mansion Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. Cilymaenllwyd mansion was at one time owned by the Mansells of  Mudlescwm, Carmarthenshire. The mansion changed hands  several times before it passed into the hands of the Howard-  Stepney family of Llanelly House, Carmarthenshire, early in the  twentieth century and from them to the Murray-Threiplands.  It was  built in 1853, replacing an earlier house, and rebuilt in 1911. It  became a convalescent home in 1965, and in 1985 became a  private nursing home. It is an imposing building of 2 and 3 storeys  with a clock tower, and a central entranceway has a porch with 6  columns which support entablature on which there is a stone  balcony. The Stepney family was established at Prendergast,  Pembrokeshire, from early in the second half of the sixteenth  century until at least 1670. However, the house was in ruins by  1767, as the family had moved to Llanelli House, Carmarthenshire,  rebuilt by Sir Thomas Stepney, the fifth baronet (d. 1744), and the  Pembrokeshire estate was sold in 1772. The family failed with the death of Sir Thomas Stepney (d. 1825),  the ninth baronet. The family property passed to descendants on  the female side who had married into the Gulston family of  Derwydd, Carmarthenshire. They took the name of Stepney-  Gulston, and later Cowall-Stepney. The estate eventually passed  to Katherine Meriel Cowell Stepney, who married Sir E. Stafford  Howard (d. 1916). Source:   National Library of Wales (Archives)