- Where the Colliers’ Arms is situated today is not where the original Colliers’ Arms was situated. The original Colliers was situated at the end of a row of terraced houses known as Colliers Row and was opposite the entrance to Pwll Park, about 150 yards further west than it is today. The UK census of 1881 shows that Margaret and William Hughes were living at the Colliers’ Arms. In 1924 it was recorded that the tenant was a Mr Griff Phillips who agreed to pass the tenancy on to Benjamin and Catherine Emmanuel. Twelve years after moving into the Colliers Arms, Benjamin Emanuel died and his wife Catherine continued to run the pub with the help of her daughter, Maggie, and son-in-law. On 18th December 1945, Catherine Emmanuel died and her estate was left to her two daughters, Maggie and Lil, who both ran the Colliers until 1948. Below:  The original Colliers’ Arms. Standing outside is Estelle, Dorothy [we think] and their grandmother Catherine Emanuel nee Gwenter. (Photo: Paul Clement) In 1948 the Colliers’ Arms was compulsorily purchased by Llanelly Borough Council and demolished to enable the road-widening scheme to proceed. Buckley’s Brewery had decided to let the licence lapse but Maggie decided to transfer the licence to Mulberry House (which had been owned by her parents). Mulberry House is the current location of the Colliers’ Arms. ‘Maggie Colliers’ as she was fondly known and her second husband Dick ran the Colliers until Maggie died in 1980. She had been associated with the Colliers Arms for 60 years. The pub was refurbished and reopened in 1983 and was run by Estelle and Gwynne Clement (Maggie’s daughter and son-in-law). Some of the chapel pews from Salem Chapel, which was being demolished at the same time, became part of the furniture of the refurbished Colliers. Estelle and Gwynne continued to run the Colliers’ Arms until 1990 when Gwynne’s ill health forced him to retire and the pub was sold to a Mr Keith John. After a turbulent three years another Keith John, who remains the current owner, purchased the Colliers’ Arms. Keith ‘The Bookie’ John can be seen serving behind the bar on most evenings of the week. THE COLLIERS’ ARMS    Above: Colliers’ Arms can be seen at the end of Colliers Row Above: Colliers Arms (c 1994) Source:   Llanelli History ©,   A Long Mile ©,   Bônau Cabbage Patch ©, All photos and articles copyrighted © by their respective owners Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com Above: Estelle Clement (nee James) behind the bar of The Colliers’ Arms (mid 1980’s) - Photo: Paul Clement Paul Celent ©