L © The Bonau Cabbage Patch Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. CROWN COLLIERY, PWLL The Old Slant was driven in 1877 by Evan Davies and Company of Llanelli who traded as the Crown Colliery Company, and had the mineral take to the east of Burry Port. This company did not join the Monmouthshire and South Wales Coal Owners Association. New Pits were driven in 1908/9 when it employed 7 men underground and 11 men on the surface. The company placed the following advert in the Colliery Guardian; “  The Crown Colliery Company of Llanelly South Wales invites tenders for the SINKING of two pits of about 150 yards depth by 12 feet diameter. Specifications may be had from the City Office, Castle Buildings, Llanelly. In 1911 four of the sinkers were killed when a pump fell on top of them, they were; James Angus aged 41 years, David Rees aged 28 years, John Jones aged 29 years and John Power aged 25 years. By 1918 it was managed by J. Bonnell and employed 60 men underground and 28 men on the surface. It had the same manager in 1919 but manpower had dropped to 80. This colliery continued to produce manufacturing coals during the 1920s when it was owned by Evan Davies and Company and employed 300 men in 1927 with New Lodge. It was still listed in 1932, but not in 1935. (Source: welshcoalmines.co.uk / Ray Lawrence) 1911 PWLL COLLIERY DISASTER A distressing fatality occurred at the Crown Colliery, Pwll, owned by Mr. Evan Jones,  Penmount, on Monday afternoon, resulting in the death of four men, and severe injuries to four others. The Colliery has not been long started, and sinking operations are still  going on, this work being in the hands of Messrs. Redfern and Co., Newcastle-on-Tyne. On Monday afternoon, nine men, employees of the contractors, were engaged in bricking a shaft 85 yards in depth. They were working from the bottom up, and at the time of the disaster, were about 12 feet above the floor of the pit. Two pumps, each weighing  30cwts, one a relief and the other working out six feet of water from the shaft, were  suspended by ropes about 2o yards above the men, when one of the pumps suddenly  came crashing down, hurling the workers right to the bottom. Mr. Redfern was at his  office at the colliery when the accident occurred, and he rushed to the pit-head and  ascertained what had occurred. Mr McKerrick, the master sinker, had only come up  from the shafta minute or so before the accident, and Mr. McKenrick and Mr Stokes  immediately descended the pit in the bowl, and when they got to the bottom they found two men lying on the wall and two others on a ladder supporting another man. They  discovered that the staging had been carried away by the pump falling through. (3rd August 1911)