L © The Bonau Cabbage Patch Erw fach Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. A walk down memory lane - Erw fach, Pwll in the 1940’s Erw Fach is that area of Pwll which is nearest Llanelli – ie Bassett Terrace, Wauneos, Libanus Hill, Stradey  Hill, Stepney Road and that part of Sandy Road that is in Pwll. In the 1940’s it was quite a busy area of the  village as the following list of premises would indicate.  - Holy Trinity Church Hall and two chapels – Libanus and Salem - A Fire Station - Three grocery shops – Siop Wat, Siop Newydd and Siop Christmas - Siop William which sold fruit and sweets. - A cobbler (“Tom the Cobbler) - A Hairdressers and Barbers (Hugh and Gwennie). - A Fish and Chip shop. - A Drapers Shop (Manchester House – William Davies) - A Post Office – Mrs Brazell and Betty. - Three undertakers – Henry Ivor Hughes, Archie Evans and Willie Hughes - A Pop Factory – Rees and Richards. - A Coal Merchant – “Davy John-y-Glo” who delivered coal by horse and cart. - A Billiard Hall and confectionery shop – Jack and Florrie. - A Butchers Shop – Pryce Thomas. - A Plant Nursery – Speck - A Garage – Idris Francis - Two drift Mines - A Public House – The Travellers Well with its distinctive petrol pump – Sid and Gertie. - A Brickyard – Glyn-y-Brickyard - A Welding Works in the field behind the garage, which later became a crisp factory “Evans Crisps” and later still an Army Surplus Stores. With the passage of time only a few of these premises remain – some in a completely different guise. Libanus and the Church Hall remain the same as does the Post Office. Salem Chapel was demolished and became a car and van hire centre. The Travellers Well turned into the Tafarn-y-Sospan and was later renamed The King Prawn before reverting back to The Tafarn-y-Sospan and subsequently changing name to Y Bryngwyn Newydd. The Chip Shop became a Chinese Take Away Restaurant. The Billiard Hall became the Spar Shop and the Welding Works / Crisp Factory / Army Surplus Store is now a garage (Body Repair Shop) Above: Pool Aerated Water Works (Rees & Richards) (This article was originally published in The Bônau Cabbage Patch No 2 (September 2003)  and based on information supplied by Cwrt-y-Diawl). Source: Bônau Cabbage Patch ©