- Source:   Llanelli History ©,   A Long Mile ©,   Bônau Cabbage Patch © LIBANUS CHAPEL Libanus Independent Chapel was built in 1878 in a period when there was a great passion for building chapels. Before Libanus was built the devoted would worship in Jerusalem and Carmel in Pembrey or Tabernacle in Llanelli or Rehoboth in Five Roads. Before 1878 weekly prayer meetings were held in various houses in Pwll. Some hymn meetings were held in Colliers’ Row and in the barn of Cilymaenllwyd where they could sing hymns and recite passages of scripture. A Sunday School was established and because of its popularity soon had to moved to the larger premisescof old Pwll school because of its popularity. In 1876 weekly sermons were also held in the old school and because of the popularity of these sermons it was decided, in 1877, to build a small chapel. Building work commenced in 1878. Local volunteers were used to dig out the foundations and to carry stone from the nearby Stradey Quarry. The architect of Libanus was Thomas Arnold who donated his work for no fee. A Mr Lloyd of Pwll was the stonemason. The chapel was built in the Gothic stylen and designed to hold a congregation of 250. The chapel was finally completed in 1879 at a cost of £400. This original chapel was not as you see Libanus chapel today. The original was a simple building with two doors in the front. In 1897 it was decided to build the present chapel. It cost £959 to build - more than twice the cost of the original building. To keep the costs down they saved money by quarrying the stone themselves. They moved 600 tons of soil and stone from the side of the chapel. It took a month to prepare the foundations of the chapel. Building work forced the congregation to hold their services in the old school again. The new Libanus Chapel was re-opened in early March 1898. The chapel could hold 500 worshippers and the vestry in the back could hold a further 100. An organ was donated to the chapel by Park Congregational Church.     All photos and articles copyrighted © by their respective owners Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com