- Sources:    PANT HYWEL COLLIERY All photos and articles copyrighted © by their respective owners Please do not take any content from this website without permission or approval. All original site content is copyrighted (2011) to Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) unless stated otherwise. All images, text or items are copyright to their rightful owner(s). If there are any issues or concern with material on this site, please email/contact us directly to be provided credit or have the item(s) removed. We do not claim ownership to anything found on this site unless stated otherwise. The Pwll Action Committee (The Bônau Cabbage Patch) does not knowingly intend or attempt to offend or violate any copyright or intellectual property rights of any entity. No copyright infringement is intended. Please let us know if there are any mistakes in this document. We will check and alter the text where necessary. You can contact us here: pwllmag@gmail.com Pant Hywel Iron Dram Bridge crossing Avon Cwmmawr Pant Hwyel Mine started its life as a coal mine, and in its latter years,  worked fire clay. Hidden away, its once ornate entrance guided  underground by a cast iron bridge crossing a small river is now nothing  more than a sealed tunnel way that leads into the ground. The remains  of the bridge lay in the river. The Coal Authority have sealed the access  point. Pant Hywel level was opened in the 1890's to work pillars left in the  Hughes or Pwll Big Vein that had previously been worked by Stradey  Colliery. In the early years the mine was owned by David Jones and  later it passed into the hands of D. J. Griffiths. Just before Christmas 1912 Eleazer Evans was killed by a fall of ground.  At the inquest held at Libanus Chapel it was stated that there were 12  men employed at the mine. From a list 1923, there were 8 men employed, producing from the Big  Vein. The drift entrance was accessed by a cast iron bridge across the river,  Afon Cwmmawr which flows into Carmerthen Bay only a short distance  down stream.   Pant Hywel was closed during the early 1930's for coal production but  was worked until the early 1960's to provide fire clay for the Pwll  brickworks.